Monday, January 30, 2006

Honest Mistake

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- Virginia Tech suspended basketball player Deron Washington for one game Friday, one day after he appeared to drive his foot into the face of Duke player Lee Melchionni, when both were laying on the floor.

Deron Washington apologized after the game for the kick that got him ejected. Washington, a starting forward and the Hokies' third-leading scorer with an 11-point average, had to miss Saturday's game at Wake Forest.

"I regret my actions from last night and accept the penalty issued," Washington said in a statement released by the school. "This in no way reflects upon my true nature and I, once again, would like to apologize to Lee Melchionni, Coach Krzyzewski and the Hokie basketball family for my actions. I absolutely got confused and thought I was kicking JJ Redick"

Tech athletic director Jim Weaver imposed the suspension for "conduct detrimental to the sport of basketball."


Now I know that Washington was actually trying to kick JJ Redick, but even if he had admitted to intentionally kicking Melchionni, what is the big deal.

Melchionni is, after-all, a white Duke player who celebrates every made shot like the world is against him and he just overcame tremendous adversity(see below).



Sure, Melchionni would probably only be third on my Duke kick-list, but when are you going to get a realistic opportunity to stomp on Coach K during the regular flow of a game.

No comments: