Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2 to the 30,402,457th power minus 1

You just read the largest known prime number.

A team at Central Missouri State University found it last month after programming 700 computers years ago.

A prime number is a positive number divisible by only itself and 1 - 2, 3, 5, 7 and so on.

The number that the team found is 9.1 million digits long. It is a Mersenne prime known as M30402457 - that's 2 to the 30,402,457th power minus 1.

Mersenne primes are a special category expressed as 2 to the "p" power minus 1, in which "p" also is a prime number.

"We're super excited," said Boone, a chemistry professor. "We've been looking for such a number for a long time."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

big deal. I found that number years ago--it was just rolling around inside my mind like all numbers are. The only difference is I didn't "minus 1" like the professors did; but then again, I didn't need no stinking computer to do my work for me. Billy