Friday, September 23, 2005

Where are They now? - Roomate Brian

Brian was one of my roomates at UNC. If you don't know about him quitting college, read the post below this one "The Ballad of Brian and What's-her-name"

Q = Whatever became of Brian?

A = He is a music columnist for the Detroit Free Press.

Here is a link to Brian's weekly column, Brian McCollum's Music Weekend.

Last year, a friend called me and told me that he saw Brian on TV talking about Eminem. Here are excerpts from our e-mail:

From my e-mail to Brian

How is it been going? Dorf called me and said he saw you on MTV talking about Eminem. I will try to tivo it.

You bastard, how did you manage to make a living off of music and the rock-n-roll lifestyle with absolutely no musical talent. I gotta think that it was your exposure to Uriah Heep and Black Sabbath out Freshman year at UNC.

From Brian's response

Man... I've done literally about 10 or 12 of these documentaries at this point. It's frikkin nuts. Between Eminem, Kid Rock and the White Stripes, I'm riding some hardcore TV coattails on the Detroit thang.

No musical talent?! Hey, I was first-chair trumpet for six years! I wrote my first songs when I was six! But hell, you know more than anybody I was just born a music geek. I can still pull off that goofy old parlor trick of attaching birthdays to #1 songs, though a little fuzziness is starting to set in here at 35.

Finally, this from an e-mail Brian sent me a few weeks ago

Life here is swell. Busier than ever at the Freep, and I’ve been hired as an adjunct professor at Wayne State University. Amazing what the “college dropout” line can do for your resume...

Later,

B

No comments: