Thursday, September 29, 2005

Mystery Benefactor - Mrs. Havisham or Magwich?

I went to my brother-in-law Buddy's bachelor party this weekend. When I arrived in Charleston saturday afternoon to deliver the kids to the in-laws, we got a call from Buddy telling us that he was at his parents Condo at Folly beach and his car had gotten "booted." We jumped in a mini-van and went to the condo. Buddy ran up to the car and grabbed the 2 parking passes that we had brought. Then he pretended to grab them out of his car and showed them to the "boot guy". The boot guy, a skinny dude in his 20's covered on tatoos, refused to remove the boot unless we gave him 50$, saying that the passes weren't clearly visible.

I tried to reason with him: "Dude, you made a mistake, just take off the boot"

"Ok, I'll remove it gor $50."

Then my father-in-law walked up and said."We are not going to give you 50$ and you will remove the boot."

Then we asked for his supervisor and he gave us the runaround. We showed boot-guy that my father-in-law owned a condo, paid regime fees, and was therefore paying boot-guy's salary.

"Ok, for $50, I'll remove it."

Then the cops were called with both sides confident that they would prevail. Father-in-law also called the property management company.

I went upstairs to check on the party planning (booze and "entertainment").

Finally, Buddy came up stairs and said that boot-guy had recieved a call and removed the boot, telling Buddy and my-father-in-law that

"Someone has agreed to pay the $50 for you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Magwich, definitely.