Sunday, September 25, 2005

Saturday's Game

I came away from Saturday's game with a bad taste in my mouth. The opposing players kept holding and it wasn't getting called. Then the opposing coach was telling his players to stop playing and let the clock run out. I know I shouldn't get so upset about sports, but I can't help it.

So what if the Blue Bells are four, and five year old girls who don't even keep score, we should have won that game. Madeline scored a goal in the first quarter and then got pushed down and ran to the sideline crying at the beginning of the third quarter. She spent the rest of the game with a coldpack on her head. Every thirty seconds I asked her if she was OK to go back in the game (we needed 2 goals), but she couldn't. Then, the same little girl took out another one of our players, Lilly. As Lilly's father ran on to the field to scoop up his crying 4 year old, he told the other coach to tell his team to not push and keep their arms down. Afterwards (I learned this after the game) the coach told her "keep doing what your doing".

Near the end of the game we were down a goal and our team cleared the ball and it was rolling slowly toward the sideline at about half field. A little girl on the other team was right there and could have easily stopped the ball, turned, and started kicking it toward our goal, unchallenged. The opposing coach told her not to get the ball and to let it roll out of bounds.

I wish we had a playoff so we could see that team again.

No comments: