Saturday, July 08, 2006

Old West Tales - The Blanket Toss

For most of my life, when I heard the words "blanket toss", I pictured the "blanket toss" that Jonie got from the hunks at the beach on the 70's sitcom Happy Days when the gang went to Hollywood for a 3 part episode.

For an introduction to Old West Tales, click here: Old West Tales - Introduction

It is very difficult for UNC students to get basketball tickets. I only got tickets once while at UNC and my back was against the wall at the very top of the Dean Dome, on the last row.

For many years the Tarheels played in an annual tournament in Charlotte, The Tournament of Champions. From its inception, the Tournament of Champions featured UNC, South Carolina, and two other teams. There were 2 games Friday night and then a consolation and championship game on Saturday night.

The Tournament of Champions doesn't exist any more, but while I was at UNC, and for many years afterward, it was my only chance to see UNC play basketball in person.

On the Tournament of Champions weekend in question, I left Old West, met my dad in Charlotte, and went to the Friday night game where UNC played South Carolina.

At that time, I could not have cared less about USC basketball because they were not very good. UNC's team was packed with All-Americans and contended for an ACC and national Championship every year, while USC stunk and had a white guy from my high school named Carey Evans. I suppose maybe Carey could dunk, but I remembered him as the little skinny dude who had gone out on a few dates with my younger sister, Jeny.

Before the game, I made a bet with my friend and USC student, Richard Flake. Richard and Chip Burn had an apartment on Green Street in Columbia. Flake's apartment was the hangout for all my Columbia friends. The bet was that if USC beat UNC, I would drive down to Columbia and let Richard and Chip give me a "Blanket Toss". I was so confident that I got absolutely nothing if UNC won.

I drank a good bit of beer at the game and near the end the score was really close. With about a minute left, USC was actually winning. I was getting a little scared, but then I looked down at the bench and saw Carey. No way a team with Carey Evans could beat The Tarheels...

They did, and I drove down to Columbia instead of going back to Chapel Hill.

When I got to Flake's apartment, it was packed with drunk people. They were very suprised when I showed up and had not expected me to honor the bet, but they had stuck around the apartment, drinking, just in case.

A sturdy blanket was selected and we went outside into the courtyard. There were about seven guys holding the blanket and I got in the middle. Things started slowly as the blanket's strength was tested and everyone practiced going up and down in unison.

What followed was not anything like the "blanket toss" that Jonie got on Happy Days.

Not only did my "friends" throw me as high as they possibly could (alarmingly high), but they also let me smack the ground after every "toss" before heaving me back up into the Columbia sky.

Toss - "Five Points looks crowded"
Thud - "My ass is going to have a bruise"
Toss - "Wow, I can see Williams Brice Stadium"
Thud - I think I dislocated my Shoulder"
Toss - "Is that Lake Murry?"
Thud - "I can't feel my legs"
Toss...

Now, when I hear "blanket toss", I don't think of Jonie, I think of me.

No comments: