Saturday, July 29, 2006

2day's Kids Got it EZ - Television

Introducing a new Turnipblog feature called 2day's Kids Got it EZ, where I will talk about how much easier today's kids have it than I did, growing up in the 70's and 80's.

When we go to church we usually park on a little side street. One sunday, a few weeks ago, we were running late to church, as usual. We parked on the little side street and starting walking. As we walked past, I saw an old television sitting on the curb, in front of a house. It was obviously being thrown away. It looked just like the television that my parents had when I was the same age as my kids are now.

I stopped the kids and called them over to the old television, we were already going to have to sit in the cry-room.

"Kids, look at this. This is what a television looked like when I was your age. You couldn't pause TV and if you wanted to turn the TV on, you had to get up, walk over to the TV and pull out this knob here...

And if you wanted to turn the volume up or down, you had to get up, walk over to the TV and turn these knobs right here...

And if you wanted to change the channel, you had to get up, walk over to the TV, and turn this knob to UHF or VHF and then turn this dial down here to the number of the channel that you wanted...

And then when the handle broke of the dial, you had to leave a pair of pliers sitting on top of the television, and if you wanted to change the channel, you had to get up, walk over to the TV, and turn this knob to UHF or VHF and then turn the dial with the pliers..."

You get the idea, but I don't think the kids fully appreciated how good they got it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that my grandfather had an early version of the remote control that had a cord that you would plug into the TV. He was still using it well into the 90's and would get pissed off when we called him "Bill Gates" and similar techie names.