Friday, July 14, 2006

Watermelon Margarita

This year we went to Edisto beach, South Carolina for the week of 4th of July. The beach was so hot this year that we would stay in the water most of the time. That is why there were so many people in the water for shark-guy(link) and why he made many of us so mad.

In the middle of the day it is too hot for humans to be on the beach. We go inside, eat lunch, take naps, go to the store, etc, and then maybe go back out to the beach right before dinner.

Well my parents had a bunch of family and friends over July 3rd and some of them wanted to go out on the beach about 1:00 pm. I walked them out onto the beach and showed them where we had left our stuff. The beach was full of people. There must have been an ozone layer hole right above us or something. It was so hot and bright that I could not see more than a few feet in front of me before a dense sun-fog obscured everything.

I ran back inside and grabbed one of the seedless watermelons that Uncle Sam had brought and cut it into inch thick slices and cut out the good part.

I placed the watermelon slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer.

When the watermelon was good and frozen (several hours later), I took it out of the freezer and sliced it and crammed about half of it into a blender until the blender was full.

I added some tequila, sugar, lime juice, and fresh mint and mixed it up in the blender until the watermelon was slushy.

I grabbed some glasses, dipped the rims in lime juice and then sugar, and filled the glasses with watermelon margarita .

I used the rest of the frozen watermelon and made another pitcher.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The margarita is a good enough drink as it is. Stop screwing around with it - it's not a frickin' smoothie. Make yourself a daquiri with your strawberries, watermelon, raspberries, etc.

Seed said...

Above comment carried to its logical conclusion = Tequila is good enough as it is. Take shots.

Seed said...

The defense:

The day was hot, hot, hot. The Watermelon Margarita was very cool and refreshing. It was also very pretty with the watermelon color mixed with mint leaves.

I stand by my drink and will make it again some day.

Seed said...

Not since the Kellie Pickler defenders has a Turnipblog post generates such hate-comments.

Keep um coming.

Look at the little dance that I am doing in the photo.

Anonymous said...

The dance was the impetus for the rita-hating.

Was it a theedleth watermelon and are those rainbow thandalth?

Who is Kellie Pickler?

Seed said...

Theedleth - Yes
Rainbows - No

KP is the girl working the drive-thru at Sonic in Albermarle, NC.

Anonymous said...

Just like the classic country hit:

Jose Cuervo, you are a friend of mine, I like to drink you . . .

in a frosted glass with a sugar rim, a little umbrella, some muddled mint leaves, and a pulpy mixture of pink fruit so I can't taste the alcohol and don't get too tipsy.

I can't leave this one alone. Thank you for your original post.