Friday, August 18, 2006

Not Boring to All

The year was 1991 or there-abouts. My girfriend of the time, Cory, and I went with my family to Hilton Head. One night we went to some bar to see 2 bands that I had never heard of, or seen, before.

The first band that performed was kind of boring. It was a bunch of white guys with a black singer and they played country-ish music. The band was boring but the singer was good and I recognized and had met the drummer, Jim, a few times (He had played soccer for USC).

The second band (pictured at right), Uncle Mingo totally rocked. I loved them and would go to see them many more times in Columbia and Charleston.

Fast Forward 5 years....

Uncle Mingo are still playing in the exact same bars or maybe have even dissolved.

The first band, the boring band, that I had seen years ago in Hilton Head is now the most popular band in the world, Hootie and The Blowfish.

Fast forward to this week....

Uncle Mingo are selling real estate or something like that.

Hootie, while not the most popular band in the world any more, are still around. I occasionally see Jim a.k.a. "Soni" jogging through the neighborhood or eating at CiCi's pizza with his daughter.


Tonight you can catch Hootie & the Blowfish on VH1 Classic . A special "Hangin' with Hootie & the Blowfish", starts at 8:30 pm EST, followed by the airing of Live in Charleston: The Homegrown Concert Event.

1 comment:

Seed said...

I TiVo'd then watched the Hootie special and Concert. Pretty Boring.