Monday, February 13, 2006

No More College Basketball Posts

In case you haven't noticed, I love College Basketball.

The 3 American achievements of which I am most proud are Bourbon, Jazz Music, and the NCAA Tournament.

I don't want Turnipblog to become devoted to college basketball and Duke hatred, so I am going to publish 1 super college basketball post and then cool it until the Conference Tournaments.

If any of you are a big sports fan or married to one, you know how excited we get when watching a game and how mad we get when we are watching a game and our team is losing. I have two such stories.

JJ Shocks the World

I went to UNC and hate duke, both well documented on Turnipblog.

Last week I had to watch Duke beat UNC and I was pissed. JJ Redick kept hitting lucky 3's and I was furious. Then, after a big 3, JJ ran down the court making some sign with his hand, sticking out 3 fingers. You can ask my wife, I yelled at her "Did you see that? What is that?"

I wanted to kill Redick and the next day I went on-line to see if anyone else saw the same thing. Sure enough, others saw it, and the sign Reddik was making is called The Shocker(link)


Adding Insult To Injury

I live in Columbia, South Carolina and am also a huge Gamecock Basketball fan. My wife and I started going to games together with student tickets when we were in Law School. She is probably a bigger fan than I am (I don't select a favorite/cutest player every year). Now we have 4 season tickets and our kids are into Gamecock Basketball.

Last weekend my wife and I were watching the Gamecocks play the Arkansas Razorbacks on TV. The Gamecocks were losing so we were both mad. Some guy that played for Arkansas was making every shot. The old Career-High Geeze. Just when I thought I couldn't get madder, the announcer said:

"So-and-so is literally going Hog Wild"

You may know how I feel about misuse of the word literally(link). I yelled at Cyndy "Did you hear that? What was that?"

I am not going to blog about College Basketball for a while, so here is a

Bonus - True Gamecock Basketball Audio Post

This season, through my wife's lawfirm, we secured invitations to a Colonial Center Boxholder Appreciation Dinner, there was an open basketball practice, followed by an autograph session and then a buffet dinner where players sat at every table.

I went straight to the event after work and made a few calls back and forth to Cyndy concerning how we were going to get autographs. Should she bring a marker? Should she bring our media guide? After much discussion, I noticed that there were posters and sharpies on a table down on the court. Problem solved.

Cyndy and the kids arrived as the practice was ending. Coach Odom announced that the men's and women's teams, Cocky, and the cheerleaders, would be available for autographs.

I rushed onto the court. The players were sitting on a table, ready to sign autographs. A bunch of little kids formed a line at the first player, Brice Sheldon, for autographs. Being much smarter than these kids, I grabbed a poster and a sharpie, and went to the middle of the table and handed the poster to #11, Rocky Trice (pictured at right). Rocky took the poster and was about to sign it, but then he stopped and said:
this is an audio post - click to play

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should feel terrible about your parenting skills, subjecting your children to Gamecock basketball. I thought you pulling for Gamecock football was bad, but Gamecock basketball is 10 times worse. SEC b-ball sucks.