Sunday, February 05, 2006

You Do Have Time to Read Turniblog?


Einstein's theory of general relativity tells us that time is relative. It's pretty easy to understand, I'll explain it to you.


If you were sitting in my FROG(Finished Room Over the Garage) right now, you could watch me hunt and peck on my keyboard as I blog. My fingers move pretty slow. Same thing if you watched me blog at the office.


Now, imagine that you are standing outside next to a train track, and a train comes down the track very fast and I am sitting at a desk on a flatbed train car, blogging. As I go by on the train, my fingers appear to you to be moving very fast. But, if you are standing on the flatbed train car with me, my fingers appear to be blogging at a third grade level. However, we know that I blog at a constant rate, no matter what. Well, if my actual blogging speed is always the same, but I appear to be blogging faster at times, depending on the observer's location, then time must be relative.

Think about it, I am spinning around blogging very fast to an observer in space as the earth rotates. But, if you are on the earth, next to me, I appear to be blogging at normal speed.

Einstiens theories have turned out to all be true. Everything in the Universe follows Einstien's predictions, from entire galaxies, right down to individual atoms.

But, something very stange and wonderful happens when one reads Turnipblog. Time actually slows down for Turnipblog readers. You probably hardly notice the effects because you read Turnipblog for such short periods.

But, imagine if you gathered food and water and got on a laptop and read Turnipblog in the bathroom. If you read Turnipblog for a week straight, when you came out of your bathroom you would smell terrible and need to shave, but to your co-workers or family who were waiting outside the bathroom, only a few moments would have passed.

So, you actually do have time to read Turnipbog.

No comments: