Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Literally broke my neck


If you are not aware of my feelings about the misuse of the word "literally", please see the post below entitled "misuse of literally".

That being said, I literally broke my neck this weekend. Let me set the scene. Walterboro, South Carolina. 100 degrees outside. We leave Uncle Bill and Aunt Joanne's dock in 2 pontoon boats. After 45 minutes of navigation through scenic blackwater creeks and river, we arrive at ther "sandbar" where there are dozens of boats full of rednecks anchored. We pull up beside a group of good-ole-boys who are standing in water up to their nipples. I am very hot, so I stand up on the side railing and dive, head first, into the water, which was apparently only about 2 feet deep. My head strikes the sandy bottom before my ass even gets wet ....

The next day I spent 12 hours at the doctor's office and the emergency room. Went to my general Dr. first at 10:00 am. X-rays were negative. Walked over to hospital for CT scan. Went back to Dr's office and waited for results. Whoever read the CT scan could not rule out non-displaced fracture, so Dr. decided that I needed to see a neurosugeon. I was then wheeled back over the the hospital, in a wheelchair, to the ER with an envelope to give to the triage nurse. 2 hours later I was put in a room. 4 1/2 hours after that I was seen by a neurosurgeon who told me that I had fractured C-5 .....

Bottom line, other than me being an idiot, is that I have to wear a big neck brace for at least 2 weeks and I have been, and will remain, doped up on heavy pain killers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DUDE, all I gotta say is don't scratch at it or we'll make you wear the cone!

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I just talked to Cyndy, and she somehow failed to mention that you BROKE YOUR NECK! That really was stupid of you.