Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I'm Outta Here!

As you know, that is how I title posts whenever I think of the idea that will make me rich and/or famous.

Three words - Courtroom Luxury Boxes.

Let me give you the background. This week I went to Orangeburg, South Carolina to watch a trial at the Orangeburg County Courthouse. In the back corners of the courtroom were these two little sound-proof rooms with a door and a window looking out to the courtroom. Each room had a table and was wired up to the courtroom microphone.

It was awsome. My friend who is a public defender showed me the room and assured me that it was OK for us lawyers to hang out in these rooms. I sat in the room, not missing any of the trial, yet I could take notes or work on something else at the table. I leisurely sipped on a mountain dew, but I could heave eaten a sub in one of those rooms. Every now and then we had to vacate the room, if another lawyer actually needed to use it, but for the most part we just sat in there and talked and laughed and commented to each other about the trial.

Anyone who has ever watched a trial, in person, knows that the entire time you are dying to laugh out loud, or do a Homer Simpson "Doh!" whenever an attorney makes a terrible mistake or gets chewed out by the judge.

Every courtroom in the United States should have private luxury boxes and I am claiming the idea.

No comments: