Thursday, May 25, 2006

Final Idol Extravaganza Post

Last week, I stated that I didn't care who won Idol. But as I watched the Katharine/Taylor showdown, I found myself pulling for Katharine. I predict that Katharine will be the biggest star of any Idol contestant to date.There can be no doubt that the Idol producers wanted Taylor and not Katharine to win.

Fact#1 = When the finalists all had to sing songs that where on the pop charts, everyone sang contemporary songs, except Taylor, who got to sing a well known and classic Beatles song that came out in the 60's.

Fact #2 = 3 guys, 1 Katharine - Elvis Night. She even had to go barefoot in this promo shot so that she wouldn't tower over the boys.

Fact #3 = Remember the 80's song, Pac Man Fever? It is a far better song than "My Destiny" the song that Katherine was forced to sing in the finals. Taylor's song "Do I make You Proud" was actually good, and he got to perform last.

Now lets talk about the 2 hour final episode. It was good to see Paris, Chris, Ace, and even Chicken Little again. For the singers, it was a nice practice for the upcoming American Idol Tour.

The singing was OK. I liked the Meatloaf/Katherine song, although my wife had never seen the "Paradise by the Dashbord Light" video and wondered why Katharine was acting afraid of Meatloaf.

The comedic sequences were entertaining, especially Simon touching himself, "Brokenote Mountain", and that freak who had to be given a stool to sit on because he soiled himself when Clay Aiken appeared. The guy actually thought he was singing a duet with Clay and had no idea that his mic wasn't on.

Earlier, I said that Pickler was an embarrassment to the Carolinas in this post(link).

I take that back ... Pickler is an embarrassment to all carbon based life forms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your affiliation with Katherine reveals your classist, inner Republican self. Strenuously rejecting populist contestants like Pickler who come from nothing in search of their way out of the trailer park, you instead align yourself with the "W" of Idol candidates, a wealthy child of parents in the entertainment biz (albeit more talented than W and obviously better looking.) Maybe next year they can impose a minimum income level or SAT score for contestants.