Wednesday, February 28, 2007

King Acknowledged Me.

When poeple hear that you went to UNC, they often want to know what basketball players were at UNC when you were there. Jeff Lebo, J.R. Reid, Rick Fox, Eric Montross, George Lynch, and Hubert Davis all played while I was at UNC.

However, there was one player who was at UNC the exact years that I was there, 1987 - 1991.

Point guard King Rice.

King couldn't hit the 3 ball, but he was a good point guard and defender and totally dominated Bobby Girly every time the Heels played Duke.

Sophmore and Junior years, King lived in Foxcroft apartments, near some friends of mine. I actually met King about 3 or 4 times. King would show up when my buddies threw parties. John McCabe had an iguana and King was scared of it and Johnny would get drunk and chase King around with the iguana. Good Times!

Haven't seen or heard of King since 1991.

Tonight, we went to the South Carolina v Vanderbilt game. As Vanderbilt were walking into the locker room at half time, I saw that King Rice was one of their assistant coaches. As they walked by, I started yelling King, like I knew him. King looked up and acknowledged me with a nod. It was enough for Cyndy to ask if he really knew who I was.

Kevin Moran of Irmo witnessed the entire encounter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend-slappers always seem to recognize each other.

King looks younger than he did in college with the cheesy 'stache and high-top fade.