Friday, February 23, 2007

The Greatest Gift of All ...

There is a pretty big intersection, where Rosewood meets Garner's Ferry, that we have to drive through to get to downtown Columbia where we work.

Sometimes there are people taking up money for charities at the intersection, usually it is firefighters who ask motorists to throw change in a boot.

This morning there was a group of men wearing suits and taking up money for some church ministry. I had just purchased my morning energy drink at the Circle K (buy one Joker Energy, get one free) and I called one of the guys over, unrolled my window, and dropped my change into the cannister that he held.

He looked in my car,

"Can I have that energy drink?" he asked. I had one Joker opened and one un-opened in the center console.

I thought he was kidding and just looked at him.

"Come on, you got one for yourself, can I have that one?", he asked again.

"No.", I answered. If I gave up the second Joker, how would I survive late-afternoon malaise?

The man reached in my window and shook my hand, "My name is Pastor so-and-so from New Orleans, and I really need that energy."

He was serious and he probably was actually doing the work of the lord, so I gave him the unopened Joker and he asked God to bless me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judging from the can label, he's probably going to use it in a sermon juxtaposing the evils of the so called "energy" drinks with the real energy you get from religious life.