Friday, December 16, 2005

Comment Word Verification

You may have noticed some spam comments on Turnipblog from time to time. I try to delete them all. Let me demonstrate with quotes from actual spam comments that I have deleted from Turnipblog.

Usually spam comments start out by kissing my butt:

"Very unique blog you have! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! ... "

Then they quickly try to sell something or promote a web site:

"Hi, The chances of you or one of your family suffering from arthritis during their lifetime is highly likely ... "

"Great Blog you have here! I am going to bookmark this one.
Play free online gamestoday at arcade queen."


"Hey you've got a great blog here, the best I've seen so far, keep up the good job! A few days ago I was surfing the web and came across this cool site... "

"Hi, thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about electric wheel chair lift that covers electric wheel chair lift related stuff. Please feel free to visit."

"Nice Blog!!! I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where you can make extra cash! ... "

Then there are some spam comments that don't even try to trick me, like the one that was a link that only said:

"Outdoor Clock"

It is usually pretty easy to spot spam comments, but all that changed when I received the trickiest spam comment in blog history this week:

"All I can say is WOW Seed. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on canada poker chips. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though X-mas Card Photo Reject really isn’t on the same page as canada poker chips I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at canada poker chips. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!"

Due to the trickiness of this comment, which I only spotted as spam because it was from "Discount Poker Chip Sets", I have enabled Comment Word Verification on Turnipblog, so that people leaving comments are required to complete a word verification step. What this does is to prevent automated systems from adding comments to Turnipblog, since it takes a human being to read the word and pass this step.

Despite the fact that I have made it more difficult to post comments, I am encouraging more comments. Please see the below post for more details.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings, seed! Great post! I was talking with some friends just the other day on the way home from reading your blog at the library in my local municipality, and we all agreed that it is friendly Ukrainian Ladies that offer the best Mail-Order Brides! It's subjects like Enabling Comment Verification which you posted about recently at 08:51 PM EST 12/17/05 which are of such topical interest to us and that really help us better understand and appreciate the special gifts that our lonely Slavic seamstresses at http://www.russkybusiness.com are so pleased and much happy to offer! Anyway, keep up with the great "blogging" and will definitely be checking in again at your website to "read" it!!

Your close friend and/or personal associate,