Monday, March 19, 2007

L.P. - Introduction

The years were 1986 and 1987.

The place, Irmo High School in Columbia, South Carolina.

Irmo was a pretty big High School. I graduated with 780 other seniors and the classes below mine were even bigger.

Every student at Irmo High School had an hour long lunch period where you had to either be in the cafeteria, or in a Study Hall.

I was a Senior in 86/87. I got early acceptance to University of North Carolina over thanksgiving break of 1986. I didn't need many classes to graduate my senior year and I had 2 study halls in addition to lunch study hall.

Study Hall sucked. Everyone sat at individual desks that were arranged in rows, and you couldn't talk. There was a teacher sitting in the front of the room who could see all of the students.

I tried to sleep but the desks were uncomfortable. I tried bringing a large ziplock bag which I would blow up and then seal, making an air-pillow. This would work for about 15 minutes before the air seeped out of the bag and my head hit the hard desk.

How did I get out of 3 straight hours of sucky Study Hall every day?

In what unlikely place did me and my friends find refuge?

What two words best describe my senior year at Irmo High School?

Library Pass

A library pass had to be signed by a teacher and could get you out of study hall and into the library. I managed to score 3 Library Passes a day, mostly from my AP teachers.

Welcome to Library Pass, where I will tell true stories from the Irmo High School Library.

No comments: