Thursday, September 13, 2007

Willa Cather

The place, Irmo High School in Columbia, South Carolina.

What two words best describe my Junior(1985/86) and Senior (1986/87) years at Irmo High School?

Library Pass

A library pass had to be signed by a teacher and could get you out of study hall and into the library. I managed to score 3 Library Passes a day and spent a good portion of my Junior and Senior years in the Irmo High School Library.

Welcome to Library Pass, where I will tell true stories from the Irmo High School Library.

Willa Cather.

Do you know who she is?

I am pretty sure that she is a famous author.

I never read any of her stories and/or books and/or novels and/or poems and/or plays.

I could not name anything Willa Cather has ever written and I am not really sure that she has even ever written any stories and/or books and/or novels and/or plays, as opposed to something else.

I don't know if Willa Cather is still alive.

I don't know if Willa Cather was/is white or black.

I do know that Willa Cather is not attractive and had a butt-cutt at one time.

How do I know this?

The same way I know that Samuel Clemmens looks like Mark Twain...

...Because there was a large, 10 pound, Willa Cather bust among the other author busts at the Irmo High School Library...

...until my friend Billy Lide stole the Willa Cather bust.

I doubt any one even noticed that Willa and her butt-cutt were missing.

I had certainly never noticed Willa's bust, until I saw it sitting in Billy's room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where, oh where is old willa now??
Probably hanging out with wilbur the fetal pig.