Thursday, October 12, 2006

Old West Tales - We Call the Cops

For an introduction to Old West Tales, click here: Old West Tales - Introduction


ZZZZZZZ

"Jeff"

"Jeff"

"Jeff"

"What!"

Rich had woken me from a deep sleep, in the middle of the night in our Old West dorm room, by calling from his bed. Vic was staying at his girlfriend's room.

"Did you hear something?"

"No"

ZZZZZZZZZ

"Jeff"

"What?"

"There it is again."

"I don't hear it?"

"There is something in our room."

"So what."

It this point I did hear it, but I didn't care enough to get out of bed.

Cearly, Rich was very disturbed by this noise. Maybe because he had developed keen ninja hearing from always gliding about silently.

Finally Rich became convinced that something was hiding behind the bar we had in the room. Seeing as how Rich was cowering under his comforter and he wasn't going to let me go back to sleep until I investigated, I got out of bed, found a flashlight, and looked behind the bar.

It was a opossum, possibly a baby opussum, with a dark colored body and a white face. I couldn't see its legs. It was just sitting there being very still, as if I might not see it if it didn't move, even though I was shining a flashlight directly on it.

I told Rich it was a opossum and got back into bed.

"What are you going to do?"

"Go back to sleep."

Rich called the campus police and I went back to sleep. It was clear that Rich was going to remain wide awake, staring at the bar, listening with his ninja hearing, and chewing his fingernails nervously, until the police arrived.

Finally the animal rescue and release team arrived and took care of the problem.

By that I mean 2 campus cops showed up at our dorm room and used our broom to shoo the baby opposum out from behind our bar and then out our door.

When Rich later told the story to Vic, he thought Rich made it up. The fact that I went along with Rich's story infuriated Vic, to the delight of Rich.

I still remember Rich, standing behind the bar where the opossum had been, slicing a sliver from a submarine sandwich and then putting it back in the mini-fridge, talking about the opossum to Vic, all the while looking over at me and grinning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Revisionist history is a wonderful thing. There was no 'possum, there was no proof, you and the pasty ninja were pulling my chain.

bukka